Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pumping Iron

I am not a weight lifter.  I am a blood donor.  Or at least I try to be.  (I am also an organ donor, and I have signed up to be a bone marrow donor.  Still waiting for that phone call...)  My favorite blood center had a blood drive today.  I love being on schedule with the blood drive.  It's like a party!  Today, they had lots of friendly people, cool long sleeve brown t-shirts, pizza, smoothies, cake, coupons, and parafin wax hand treatments!  It was great!  I was having a great time and my hands are sooo soft!  Then it was my turn to go into the little office to check my temperature, blood pressure, and worst of all... my iron levels.  Sigh.  It's always a gamble when I go to give blood.  Today my iron level was 34.  It has to be 38 to give.  I don't really handle disappointment very well.  I am still kind of pouty about it!  The last few times I went, my iron was doing great.  Always right at 38.  I don't even really know what that means.  Except that it's time for me to start pumping iron again.  Maybe my handsome hubby can put a daily reminder in my phone, and I can take my supplements like an old woman...  Anyway, I encourage both of you faithful readers, if you are not already a blood donor, give it a try!  It's a great feeling when you know you are helping to save lives!

2 comments:

  1. since I know I can't give blood for two reasons, one of them we discussed and the other now is the iron levels, next time I will go with you for moral support, a hand wax and a cool shirt!

    ReplyDelete